Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Banana's check-up

Little Banana had her 2-month check-up yesterday. Here are her stats:

11 lbs. (50th percentile)
24 inches long (95th percentile)
15 inches head circum. (25th percentile)

Yes, my baby is tall with a little head. Her doctor explained that as the brain grows, so grows the head. So does this mean that our little Banana has a smaller than average brain? I guess so. Greg and Kathryn, celebrate your kids' big noggins.

I thought she would weigh more, with her jowels, chin, and thunder thighs. I think the doctor's scale was wrong. It wasn't even an electronic scale. It was one of those old fashioned ones were the nurse had to move the metal lugs at the top for the scale to balance out. It's funny - all the exam rooms have computers, and my kid was weighed using a scale that hasn't been around since I was a kid. Hmmm...

She got three shots and one oral vaccine. Octimus Prime was with me, and he was wide-eyed as he watched the nurse give her the shots. I don't know if he was thinking "better her than me" or if he was secretly afraid that I had lied and he really was going to get one. She did well considering she was naked for half the visit, and was poked, prodded, and manhandled the whole time. At the end of the visit, the doctor announced that Banana was a healthy, beautiful baby, which we already knew.

Now for an update on her colic. She is slowly improving! She is starting to fall asleep earlier in the evenings, between 8-8:30, and she isn't screaming as much. Her behavior is more along the lines of fussing and crying. We know it's something she'll outgrow, and in the meantime, we are still trying everything we know to make her more comfortable. We are using the Mylecon drops, Gripe water, essential oils, and baby massage, all at different times with different results. Also, I've started to take probiotics, hoping that as they get into her system, they will help her. In my 8th month of pregnancy I took antibiotics for a skin infection, and we think that the drugs probably did some damage to the good stuff in her digestive system also.

Ok, enough about Banana. Here are some pictures!



1 comment:

Rebecca Bang said...

That chunk only weighs 11 lbs??? I would think her hair weighed more than that:) How much does she feel like when you are walking her up and down the halls?

Love your blog! Great way to keep tabs on what is going on!

Glad all is well and hope we get to see you soon!

~Rebecca